Sunday, November 2, 2008

Adventures with Mark and Jen

Guess I'll never forget the summer of 2008, and I have to admit that what happened - well, I didn't see it coming. In late May, I heard through the Norman grapevine (Mom) on about a Thursday that a certain nephew of mine was headed our way on the coming Sunday. As I remember, Mark called on Sunday, as he was headed south out of Norman to make sure we had gotton wind of said rumor. I said, sure, come on, and was pleased that he would be staying with us for a couple of weeks as he started his new job in Dallas, and secured a domicile for his soon-to-be new bride, Jen. The domicile hunt did not go well for Mark, and on the Wednesday before he was to leave on Thursday (for his wedding on Saturday, June 28th), I told him, well, since you didn't secure a domicile, you and Jen are welcome here after the honeymoon. I told my family that I had to have a picture of the groom carrying his bride over MY threshold, so I could hold it over Mark's head for the rest of his life. So Mike, who had talked to them when they got back into Dallas from their honeymoon and were on their way to McKinney, gave me the heads up - thus I was able to get this pic for posterity. As it turned out, the domicile hunt proved difficult for the newlyweds, as well, and I was forced to make a phone call to Oklahoma and advise Mike and Cindy that we had situation developing here in Texas, with which we needed some pretty immediate assistance (I think we were in about week four by this time). Low and behold, the domicile hunt was brought to a conclusion when, after an intensive search of 3 days, Mark and Jen found a home in Plano. Since the closing was five weeks out, we still had (in Mike's words) some more bonding time. I coined a new phrase during this time, "company is kinda like pregnancy - it starts to get old after the first trimester." I'm sure Mark and Jen could probably coin a few phrases of their own, such as "family is like a bowl of trail mix - a blend of fruits and nuts!" We had many adventures during our time as roommates, which I may elaborate on at a later date, but this is already long, so I'll just give it a wrap. All tolled, it was a fun, unique time, and a blessing!

3 comments:

Mindy S said...

I seriously can not stop laughing that was so funny! Yes everything with Mark and Jen is an adventure. I'm just really thankful they were looking for a home in Dallas and not Tulsa :)

Cindy's Cache said...

It was an adventure I am sure! However, I can see it was a special time for them and you. You taught them many things in those months that will benefit them forever, specifically the ability to add some humor to any situation. You are one in a million!

Haley Bird said...

Gosh Mindy that was mean! But ohhh soo funny! heheheheh! LOL! hahaha!